IDEAL – Increasing Deaf Adult health Literacy through innovative methodologies
Deaf people face significant barriers with accessing health information, health care services, and communication with their health care provider and as a result, show poorer health outcomes compared to the general population.
Deafness is a severe disability with major consequences that is very often unrecognised and underestimated in its social, relationship and access impact on every area of daily life, including prevention and health protection. In fact, deafness, not allowing auditive feedback, prevents the natural acquisition of spoken (and then written) language, often leading to delays or serious gaps in literacy that make access to reading and writing problematic and create large dimensions of discrimination and isolation.
IDEAL project aims to promote the health literacy of Deaf adults facilitating their access through innovative methodologies based on the digital tools meant as a web app where learning materials and informative videos in sign languages concerning health issues will be available to the Deaf people. The project also aims to improve the teaching skills of adult educators opening up the opportunity to work with Deaf adults through innovative and inclusive methodologies.
- Ústav pro zdravotní gramotnost, z.ú. Czech Republic, Prague
- Masarykova univerzita Czech Republic, Brno Stred
- innosign s.r.o Slovakia, Prešov
- CNSE, CONFEDERACIÓN ESTATAL DE PERSONAS SORDAS Spain, Madrid
- TIBER UMBRIA COMETT EDUCATION PROGRAMME Italy, Perugia
- Associazioni Unite dei Sordi della Regione Umbria Italy, Perugia
- SignCoders Kft. Hungary, Budapest